Dr Ashani Couchman – Neuro-Urologist
Dr Ashani Couchman is a Neuro-Urologist with specialist training in adult, paediatric, adolescent and neuro-urology.
Dr Couchman assists people who have a variety of bladder conditions, from those who have acquired neurological or urological conditions — such as Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), or experiencing a stroke — through to people with congenital bladder problems.
Dr Couchman is passionate about empowering her patients to live more freely, enjoyably and independently across her work with people with continence, renal and sexual problems.
Education & Training
Dr Couchman was born and grew up in Sri Lanka before moving to New Zealand where she graduated from Auckland Medical School in 2003, and then completed her surgical training. She then completed multiple high-profile fellowships at:
• The Institute of Urology (London)
• Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children (London)
• National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (London) and Western General Hospital (Edinburgh)
Dr Couchman moved to Australia in 2016 and now calls Australia home. She holds specialist registration with the Medical Board of South Australia.
Industry Recognition, Career Highlights and Educational Appointments and Memberships
● President of the Continence Foundation of Australia – South Australian Branch
● South Australian representative of the Younger Fellows for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
● Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Urology
● Specialist registration with the Medical Board of South Australia
● Member of the Children and Young Persons committee, International Continence Society
● Member of the Functional Urology and Reconstructive Urology Special Advisory Group, ANZUS
● Member of the MBS Review Committee for the Australian Medical Association
● Convener of the Continence Foundation SA Annual Scientific Meeting, 2019
● Peer Reviewer for the BJUI – Reconstructive and Female Urology Module
● Member of The International Neuro-Urology Society
● Member of The European Association of Urology
● Member of The American Urological Association
● Member of The International Continence Society
● Member of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Ashani loves travelling and has a particular soft spot for Malaysia and its cuisine! She also enjoys spending time with her friends and family, beautiful food and a getting stuck into a great book.